Happy Monday!
My Friday update is arriving a little late this week—I took
a few days off for vacation! But this is a conversation I didn't want to skip.
Every week I research the questions homeowners and buyers
are asking Google and ChatGPT before they ever contact a Realtor or lender. One
question keeps coming up:
“I have a
great mortgage rate—but I need to move. What do I do?”
Many homeowners are sitting on mortgage rates far below
today's market. Understandably, they don't want to give them up.
But sometimes life doesn't care what your mortgage rate
is.
Families grow. Jobs change. Couples divorce. Parents need
caregiving. Stairs become a problem. Commutes change. Or perhaps the house
simply doesn't fit the life they're living anymore.
A 3% mortgage is valuable.
But it isn't necessarily a reason to stay in the wrong
house forever.
Instead of
asking, “Should I give up my 3% mortgage?”
Let's ask:
“What would have to happen financially for this move to
make sense?”
That's where we have options to explore.
- A homeowner might be able to use a HELOC or home-equity loan to access equity for the next down payment before selling.
- Some borrowers may qualify to buy the new home before selling the existing one, avoiding the pressure of trying to perfectly coordinate two transactions.
- Bridge financing may be
another possibility for the right borrower.
- Some clients may decide to sell first, use their proceeds and then purchase.
And occasionally, keeping that low-rate mortgage and converting
the existing home to a rental may make sense.
There isn't one answer for everyone.
The important thing is not to assume your client is trapped
until we've run the numbers.
From
Karen's Desk
This is where I think a mortgage professional can add
tremendous value to a Realtor's relationship with a past client.
When someone tells me, “I'd love to move, but I can't
give up my 3% mortgage,” I'm not going to immediately try to talk them into
selling.
Instead, I want to model the choices.
Let's say your client has substantial equity but needs a
larger home. I may compare several scenarios:
- Sell
first and use the proceeds toward the
new purchase.
- Buy
first, if they can qualify carrying
both properties temporarily.
- Open
a HELOC on the existing home to help fund the next down payment.
- Consider
bridge financing to cover the period between the two transactions.
- Keep
the current home as a rental
and determine whether the rental income and overall financial picture
support the next purchase.
Then we compare the numbers—not just the rates.
What is the new total monthly housing expense? How much
cash remains in reserves? What other debt could potentially be eliminated with
sale proceeds? What happens to monthly cash flow? And what does each choice
accomplish for the client's family and lifestyle?
Sometimes the best answer is to move. Sometimes it's to
stay.
My job is to give your client enough information to make
that decision intelligently.
And for you, that planning conversation may uncover a
future listing and purchase that otherwise would never have happened.
Ask Karen
“Can my
client really buy their next home BEFORE they sell their current one?”
YES! And this is something I'd much rather determine
before they begin house hunting.
I want to look at:
- Income
and existing monthly obligations
- Equity
in the current property
- Estimated
net proceeds from a future sale
- Cash
available for the next down payment
- Whether
a HELOC or bridge strategy is feasible
- Potential rental income if they're considering keeping the existing property
- Cash
reserves after closing
- And
the complete monthly payment on the new home
If they can qualify to purchase before selling, it can
completely change the Realtor's strategy.
Instead of writing an offer contingent upon selling their
current home—or selling first and scrambling to find the next property—we may
be able to give the family time to find the right home, move, and then
prepare the existing home for sale.
Realtor Talking Point of the Week
Here's a question I'd encourage you to ask your past
clients:
“If your mortgage rate weren't part of the equation, would
this still be the right house for you today?”
If the answer is no, don't immediately ask:
"Are you willing to give up your 3% mortgage?"
Instead ask:
“What would have to happen financially for a move to make
sense?”
Then bring me into the conversation and let's find out. Your client may be much less “rate locked” than they think.
AI Prompt
of the Week for Realtors
Copy and paste this into ChatGPT:
Act as an experienced Orange County Realtor writing to a
past client who purchased or refinanced when mortgage rates were very low.
Write a warm, conversational email asking whether their current home still fits
their lifestyle. Acknowledge that giving up a low mortgage rate can make moving
feel financially impossible, but explain that substantial home equity, sale
proceeds, a HELOC, bridge financing, buying before selling, or potentially
retaining the current home as a rental may create options. Do not recommend a
specific financing strategy. Encourage the homeowner to have their Realtor and
mortgage professional run the numbers before deciding they are “stuck.” Keep
the email non-salesy and under 250 words.
The
Takeaway
Your past clients may not be calling you because they've
already decided they can't move.
That's the opportunity.
We don't need to convince them to sell. We simply need to
help them answer:
Does this house still work for my life—and if it doesn't,
what are my options?
If you have a past client who loves their mortgage but has
outgrown their house, send them my way. I'll be happy to model the
possibilities with you and let the numbers tell us whether a move makes sense.
Have a wonderful week!
Karen Card
The Card Team
Sr. Loan Officer | NMLS #235218
American Pacific Mortgage Corporation
Helping Veterans, Self-Employed Borrowers, First-Time
Buyers, Seniors, Families in Transition and Homeowners Navigate Today's
Mortgage Market.
No comments:
Post a Comment