American Pacific Mortgage

American Pacific Mortgage

Friday, October 9, 2026

Self-Employed? Don't Assume You Don't Qualify!

 Happy Friday!

One of the questions consumers continue asking Google and AI is:

“I'm self-employed and take a lot of tax deductions. Can I still qualify to buy a home?”

The answer is often YES—but we need to look beyond the obvious.

I've worked with self-employed borrowers for more than 30 years, and one of the biggest misconceptions I encounter is that the income reported on a tax return tells the whole story.

It doesn't always.  And if it does, it can be complicated.

With conventional financing, we analyze the business income, expenses and cash flow. Certain noncash expenses, such as depreciation, may be added back when permitted by underwriting guidelines.  Also home office use, and a couple other items.

When conventional financing doesn't work, we may have other options:

  • Bank-statement loans: Some programs use 12 or 24 months of personal or business deposits, adjusted for applicable expenses, rather than relying on tax-return income.

  • Asset-based qualification: For buyers with substantial eligible assets, certain programs may allow us to use those assets to help establish qualifying income.  There are a variety of formulas that may be used.

  • Non-QM financing: Alternative programs may include P&Ls or qualify based on rental income for an investment property.

Karen's Desk: The Tax Planning Conversation

Here's something I encourage self-employed clients to do: Talk to me before making major tax-planning decisions if purchasing or refinancing a home is on the horizon.

A perfectly legitimate tax strategy that minimizes taxable income may also reduce qualifying mortgage income.This is why collaberation with a Tax or legal professional is always encouraged.

I'm certainly not suggesting anyone pay more taxes than necessary! But coordinating with the borrower's tax adviser before the returns are filed can sometimes preserve more financing options.

Ask Karen

“My buyer has only been self-employed for one year. Should they wait another year before looking?”

Not necessarily!

Conventional guidelines generally look for a two-year history, but there are exceptions for borrowers with at least 12 months of documented self-employment and appropriate prior experience in the same field or occupation.

The important thing is to evaluate the entire situation before telling the buyer they need to wait.

Realtor Talking Point of the Week

When a prospective buyer says, “I'm self-employed, so I probably can't qualify,” try this:

“Don't rule yourself out! I work with a mortgage professional who specializes in self-employed borrowers. Let's have Karen look at your situation before we make assumptions.”

Sometimes the buyer needs a different loan program. Sometimes we need better documentation. And sometimes conventional financing works after all.

AI Prompt of the Week for Realtors

“Write a friendly, 150-word explanation for a self-employed prospective homebuyer who thinks they cannot qualify because of tax deductions. Explain that conventional and alternative mortgage programs evaluate income differently, avoid promising approval, and encourage a conversation with a mortgage professional experienced in self-employed financing.”

One Final Thought

A complicated tax return doesn't necessarily mean a complicated mortgage—or an impossible one.

If you have a self-employed buyer, I'd love to look at their situation early, before they get discouraged or decide to postpone their purchase.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Karen Card
Sr. Loan Officer | NMLS #235218
American Pacific Mortgage Corporation
714-290-6940
www.card-team.com

No comments:

Post a Comment